Tuesday 29 October 2013

Winters coming

        Winter will be here soon and what Have I done to prepare ABSOLUTELY  NOTHING  . Its getting so much colder now and I am trying hard to resist putting the heating to try and avoid using too much gas its so dam expensive now and we have a large house it takes a lot to keep it warm.So here  is how we are going to keep the bills down.

1) Wrap up warm with additional layers

2) bleed the radiators so when do have to switch the central heating on there heating to their full potential

3) 2 extra blankets on each bed

4) hot waterbottles to help keep us cosy

5) Superglue to glue my eldest childs bedroom window shut she wont keep it closed its driving me mad makes the whole of upstairs so cold ( only messing i would never do this one)

6)  I am looking into purchasing or making reflective sheets that fit behind the radiator to reflect the heat back into the room. Though i have read a couple of reviews that said these did not make much difference

7) go on a draft hunt and ensure any cracks are seeled right up and that all seals on external doors are in good repair

 I cant think of any more but hopefully these will keep us cosy just going to focus on filling the freezer and sorting out my car now as i drive quite a distance at night on my way home from work so tomorrow i will be checking oil , water etc and stashing some blankets and deicer in the boot just in case .

 What do you guys do to lower the fuel bills and prepare for winter?

    JEN X


p,S karen am doing well with my savings tin you would be proud


4 comments:

  1. I hang heavy curtains that are quite a bit bigger than my windows, I also add an extra layer behind them. It makes a lot of difference to the heat loss, as soon as I need to put the lights on I close the curtains. I have heavy curtains at the exterior doors and at the door to the little conservatory. Once my underfloor heating goes on I set it at 15 and it stays there. Extra quilts on each bed and a couple on the sofa to snuggle in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen, I'm so so proud of you, you lovely (busy) lady!! Its good to hear your winter plans, do take extra care when out at night though and don't forget that black ice that can catch us out.

    We live in an average size bungalow and its very well insulated, floors, walls, double insulation in the loft and all the radiators have thermostats. I hate being cold but I HATE being ripped off by the power companies more. For us its extra layers, thick socks, snuggle blankets and hot water bottles, not quite time for the electric blanket!

    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so need to do that curtain thing pam we have blinds they are rubbish at keeping the heat in plus baby pie is now toddling and keeps yanking I the dam things . Whisk I had underfloor heatingx maybe in a few years when I get my next home xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just so expensive I was spending 180 pounds a month on gas during the coldest months last year I can't go on paying those kind of prices .

    ReplyDelete