Wednesday 4 September 2013

Change for Life on a budget!

 Good afternoon my blogging friends. Well the little darlings went back to school this morning and I have signed all of them up to the Change for life Smart Restart.  One of the challenges is to have a totally healthy pack lunch you can choose often you want to participate in the challenges ( there is  all diffrent ones) we opted for 5 times a week. I feel this is really important especially as there all so fussy and will become less active as winter approaches.
  So Can I do it and stay within budget . So off I pop to my fave supermarket Aldi which is totally ACE. Its really reduced my food bill shopping here and they have such fab stuff too. Now once a month usually towards the end a national newspaper  has £5 off a £ 40 shop voucher for Aldi  which lasts for a week well I cheat a bit and buy two papers then the following week do my top up shop a  day early > Now £40 for a top up shop may seem a bit high for some of my readers but I am feeding a family of 8 and that dosen't come cheap.

So here is what I bought today
 
 That came to a grand total of £61.88 reduced to £56.43. I love food shopping and have been enjoying the whole food budget challenge. I think the most expensive thing is the chicken  i tend to buy breasts to save messing about butt one kilo costs £6.89 Now I know that is cheap  but Tesco have 3 whole chickens  for a £10 . So I think I best try some of these at this price I can use it to fill out the sandwiches add to pasta and salads and in the evening meals too. Now those of you that follow my blog know am nit much of a cook and I am embarrassed to say I have never cooked a whole chicken before so will have to do a bit of research. So any tip readers on how to stretch a chicken readers/?( And Karen if your about  how to cook it too)

bye for now

jx a

P.s Bought a few jars of baby food  a standby  I do normally make all baby Ipie meals .




8 comments:

  1. Hi jen glad to see your back, I have a whole chicken hiding in my freezer I'll go dig it out and do a special blog post just for you on wed if you like :)

    Gonna be honest I was wondering about the baby food, not that I can judge my twins lived off it but I was far from frugal back then, my youngest wouldn't entertain jars so always had homemade food, given that I also feed him myself til he was 10months I saved a clean fortune on food for him.

    Wish i had an aldi i'll just have to make do with lidl.

    A girl called jacks going to be doing a few lunchy blogs aswell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby ipie does a combo of mashed and baby led weaning and I would say 90 per cent of which is home made food. But a jar is handy to have as a stand by and these were only 49 pence each which is extremely cheap the usually retail at about 90 p . So thought I best stock up on a few bargains. They are handy to have as a standby by for a quick meal if am ever short of time and in a hurry x

      Delete
    2. And yes please for the roast chicken blog thanks x aldi is marvellous shame you haven't got one near you full of bargains . I just can't belive the amount of money I have wasted in the larger supermarkets over the yearsx. My phone only allows me to type so much before I have to post

      Delete
    3. That was a bargain then :)

      No problem i decided on stew for dinner tonight but I have the chicken out for tomorrow (reduced ofcourse :) )

      Delete
  2. WOW Jen I'm really impressed with your shopping, thats a great shop...so healthy and delicious. I dont blame you for being a bit crafty and using 2 coupons within the week, I have done this before, every penny saved helps! Its great the kids will take on a challenge like that, well done to them. The whole chicken... there is usually cooking instructions on the back of the label but its great that Sian is going to help with a blog post. Aldi whole chickens are lovely and big and usually around a fiver, plenty to feed 8, strip the whole carcass and portion it out so everyone gets some breast, leg and bits, theres no arguing then lol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your post I was really concerned that it was going to cost me a fortune but found the rice an oatcakes to be so cheap. The smart restart app for my phone is full of good ideas like while hardboiled eggs I think DS1 would really like these plus there super cheap he usually wants roast beef sandwiches but he is being fairly game with this challenge bless him

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad am not the only crafty couponer . Wait till you see what I did with a coupon offer last November will try and find the photos for you x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to shop at Aldi. We are quite a distance from one, but whenever I am in town I always check out what they have.

    Great shopping trip, by the way!

    ReplyDelete