Sunday 24 March 2013

Budget Birthday

      A super busy day here two birthday party's in one afternoon! I spent the entire morning decorating fairy cakes for my nieces birthday and my icing bag split so the cakes frosting does look a little rustic. 

  Now I was a little low on funds to buy a gift for her this year so my sister I would make some food to contribute towards the party. I made 24 chocolate chip cookies now i did struggle to get these cookies in to a decent shape before baking but they did taste delicious 
 Does anybody remember when a national newspaper gave a way an Iceland coupon a day for a week. Well I took full advantage of this offer and the grand sum of £12.00 acquired £70 worth of party food. Now I know  this is not the most desired party nibbles but it has proven to be a reliable source of party food when time is an issue and I would so do it again. The only downside is it took me forever to cut the dam coupons out. So I also donated  a few packs of that too. Unfortunately whilst my sister was cooking it she got a bit distracted and some of it was a little well done but perfectly edible.




 I also found this Bargain One Direction cake whoopsied for  £2.26 one evening last week and popped it in the freezer to save for my nieces birthday. I was a little concerned the icing would be damaged by freezing it but it was in perfect condition and my lovely niece was absolutely thrilled. Not as thrilled as my sister though who got a fab little party spread free. I really enjoyed doing this though all that baking was a bit time consuming it did save me the cost of a present and everyone appreciated the effort I went to. It got to me thinking about future birthdays and how I could create a present for minimal cost that would be really appreciated   I was considering something crafty. I am not particularly good with my hands so it would have to be something simple. Do you make birthday presents and what do you make?


8 comments:

  1. I knit cardigans, button up hoodies scarfs and mittens for my grand children plus crochet blankets for my parents and grandchildren and I once sewed a patchwork quilt for my one grand daughter. I've also made curtains and cushion covers for my son and daughter when they moved into their new homes - you know I didn't realise I'd done so much until I've just thought about it! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trudie I would love to be able to knit gifts but unfortunately my knitting skills are rather limited never got past a small square. I would love to have a go at crocheting . Is it easier than Knitting? Is there a book you would recommend? Did you teach yourself how to sew, knit and crochet. I think they are amazing skills to have and its a wonderful thing to be able to make presents for your family to enjoy x

      Delete
    2. I think crocheting is easier than knitting - my Nan taught me to knit when I was about 7 and a friend at school taught me how to crochet when I was about 12 - I'm not that good at crocheting - I can do granny squares and ripple blankets there is a blog called attic 24 and I have learnt more about crocheting from her
      tutorials - I went to night school to learn how to make curtains because I couldn't afford to buy nice curtains when my children were little - I would love to learn how to make beautiful cards like Karen does - but I don't think I have the artistic eye for it.
      Making jam can be expensive but have you thought of making chutney? Thats not quite so pricey to make I would definitely carry on with the cake making - they look delicious! Sorry to rattle on xxx

      Delete
    3. I am so going to give chutney a go once the Easter Holidays are over with will have to get researching some good recipes. I will carry on with cake making need to try a few more recipes I tend to stick to ones i know well
      I hope to be able to buy a sewing machine one day I remember my Mum lending my aunts and making us simple skirts and dresses. I would love to be able to do the same for baby ipie one day. Think I would need to invest in some lessons though.

      Delete
  2. Thats just the kind of present I would appreciate too and one that I would enjoy giving. My friend and I always make each other gifts,not just for birthdays but when we meet up at each others houses. It might be some home grown salad in the summer or a jar of preserves, a few cookies, cake scones or for something special I like to make a simple but fancy box with a few choccies inside. Crafting is my hobby so I make all my cards and bit of gifts anyway. I suppose its not always appreciated by family and friends but thats tough its the thought that counts :-) Your fairy cakes look wonderful I bet they didn't last long on the plate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I want to be able to do Karen currently the only thing I can make is cakes and cookies. I really need to build on this and have a go at something new. Do you have any suggestions for some simple preserves ?I have had a go at jam before but the fruit can workout quite costly. I bet your friends really appreciates these gifts I know I would. I would love to have a go at crafting too one day. All the thrifty bloggers seem to be very talented at making things and all I can do is cakes . I did make a Mini Mouse Skirt for my daughter once though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just been to check out craft blog Karen you have made some fantastic things . How long have you been crafting for ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind comments x I suppose I have been crafting since I was a little girl when my mum taught me to knit and crochet and how to make clothes for dollies. So really I have always made things, I did cross stitch forever! and then when papercrafting became popular that took over. I have learned mostly by following blogs and picking up tips from other crafters, you soon develop your own style and methods, its something I do to pass the time. There doesn't seem to be any money in making things to sell. Quite often I will donate a box of cards to a charity coffee morning ie Marie Curie they like to have a varied table and probably sell them for less than they cost to make but it keeps me busy and creative. If you browse the web you can find lots of freebies, all you need to get you started is paper card and a printer, some glue or double sided tape and a pair of scissors.

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete