Tuesday 19 March 2013

 A Spot of Baking

 Yesterday morning proved to be extremely productive!  Using the pastry that my eldest daughter had made at school (previously I would of  chucked it in the bin) I  manged to make these jam tarts and it only took me five minutes to prepare!


 All it took was a quick roll out of the pastry and chuck in a few spoonfuls of jam (basic range of course) and Voila a dozen snacks for the children who were extremely pleased scoffing the lot. There was a little bit of pastry left over so in a true money saving style I made a couple of Cheese and onion pasties for lunch .
 Now I am not much of a cook  so am really pleased  with the results here and hopefully with practice my baking will improve

 Inspired with the results of my baking session I then got out my two slow cookers and made bolognese and  scouse .   I  really tried to stretch the bolognese sauce out and added two cartons of passta, two whole punnets of  reduced price mushrooms, onion, garlic, mixed herbs and 300 grams of mince.  It was lovely and made a nice change of not having to cook in the evening. Another bonus was there was enough left to feed us all again. So i popped it in an ice cream tub and froze it for another day.

  Now this may seem like an obvious thing to do to others but I did  generally leave the cooking to my other half  not any more. I am going to continue to experiment with healthy recipes and bulk cooking in an effort to lower my food bill and improve the health of famyil

12 comments:

  1. Well done on your baking, I made jam tarts to the other day with a scrap which would have usually been binned, we have to change our mindset and think that food waste is just like throwing money away, I am not wasting a single thing from now on, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right thrifty it is all about changing our mindset.I think one of the key things is planning a head to help reduce the waste. It makes me so cross to think of all the money I have wasted over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those tarts look delicious. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks penny! My eldest son thought so too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi and a huge welcome to blog land. I am quite new too but love it. I am trying to be a follower but it doesn't seem to be on here. Can you go to settings and add it so we can follow you?
    Well done for starting out, it's a really good way to keep track, like a diary I guess and it's nice to look back at what you've done.

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah thanks for posting I have been trying to add follower this afternoon and failed miserably finally achieved it five minutes ago!I think developing the blogs layout will take me a little while.
    Your right it is just like a diary to be honest I was a little scared at first but everyone has been so kind with their comments and I have been having a good read of yours this afternoon while the little ones were snoozing your so determined and postive I look foward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. actually on closer inspection i haven't added the gadget I wanted too. I have looked in settings and cant seem to find it any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jennifer, try this.
    Click Design at the top of your blog
    Then go to Layout
    Click Add a Gadget
    A Pop up box appears
    Look in the left margin and click More Gadgets
    Scroll to the bottom of the list and you will see a Followers Button
    Click and Save
    It should appear on your blog
    You can then go back to settings and move it to where you want it to be in your sidebar by drag and drop, then you need to click Save Arrangement in the top righthand side.

    Hope that works for you
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I have put go back to settings it should be layout x

      Delete
  9. Karen thank you so much you have been such a help I really do appreciate the time you have taken to explain this to me. Your a little star x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, just glad it worked. I'm a follower now too x

      Delete